Sunday, October 25, 2009

Makes my Spartan heart melt...

September 3, 2009

7:20 p.m. - 8:05 p.m., Greece

I had the most memorable evening swim complemented by a very touching and beautiful gesture. A love note on the beach meant for me.

I arrived at the beach on a beautiful sunset around 7:20pm. The place was empty and calm. I could only see two girls a few meters to my right lying on the beach facing the sunset and apparently taking looks at me as I made my way into the water.

I stayed in the water swimming for about half an hour till a beautiful full moon pinned like a silver plate took its turn on the sky.

I come out of the water and take a look around me. No one's there any more. It's getting dark and cold and the girls who were lying nearby are also gone.

I walk towards the spot I left my towel. As I make my way to reach it, I notice this note carefully placed on the towel with a stone acting as paper weight against the wind.

The girls I had seen earlier must have written it and placed it there. They were the only ones around. I didn't take a good look at their faces but they did at mine.

I don't know if they were Greek or foreigners but it doesn't matter. I know they were nice.

And their beautiful gesture proves it!

If you're not one of the girls but you clicked on the photo and read the note, you'll agree it was very nice of them what they did.

Imagine their beautiful gesture for a moment.

They saw me getting into the water and swimming far away from the shore. They must have been observing me even though I didn't notice them doing so. Most probably they spent a good part of their time talking about me while I was in the sea swimming for both of them :)

As they were "living" the beach, they scrapped a piece of paper and wrote those short and very nice words for me to read and remember the time, the place, the chance encounter that never happened, the presence of all of us being there.

No names. No contact details.

Just the memory of it on the paper whose back side hints at some kind of card game they might have been playing.

That was the kind of gesture to make the heart of any Spartan melt.

I'm "living" the place tomorrow so I won't be able to come back and look for them.

But I can return the gesture, I thought, by posting this beautiful note online in the hope that one day one of the girls will stumble upon these lines, see the note and take pleasure from knowing that their thoughts of me were well received and greatly appreciated.

I have my reasons for not mentioning the name of the place.

If they come across this post one day and see their note, they will know it can only have been the sweet boy swimming for them as they were "living" the beach that 3rd of September evening in Greece. Only he could have gotten the note. There was no one else at the beach at the time.

I don't know if they will ever get to read these lines. Even if they do one day, many years may have passed by then. But if the girls who wrote the note and left it on the beach ever decide to contact me, I would know it's them because they will be able to tell me the name of the place.

Whoever you are beautiful-girl-note-droppers, please know that you touched the Spartan's heart.

His only regret is that you weren't around to see the smile on his face as he picked up the note and read it...

http://www.thinkaloo.com

No comments: