Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mailbox Rubbish Bins

I live in Sydney, and the City Council has removed a lot of public bins to combat the problem of littering. It seems when people see a bin that's full, they'll just continue chucking stuff on top of it even if it means it will fall off onto the ground. What we're expected to do now is to take our trash home. Which is what I do.

Gripe before thought:

I end up taking my empty takeaway containers and drink bottles home in my handbag (gone are the days when I could carry around little handbags that just accommodated my makeup and wallet), and find on too many occasions that when I get home, somehow traces of my leftover lunch have managed to leak all over my bag.

So here's my thought:
How about placing little machines all over the city that will compact your rubbish. Better still, place them on top of "mailbox" litterbins, where you "slot" in your rubbish once they've been compacted. That would solve the problem of overflowing. Non-recyclable items can then go in the regular bins.

So, Sydney, bring our bins back!

http://www.thinkaloo.com

No comments: