Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beware Greeks inspiring sex strikes!

I read on the news that women in Kenya are on sex strike to force the government and opposition to stop bickering and look after the interest of their country. Although I've never been to Kenya, I think the news tell us that women must have no political power in that country. Why would they use sex to bring political change otherwise? In the article I read that the strike was inspired by Ancient Greece. In Aristophane's comedy Lysistrata, the ladies of 5th century BC Athens withheld sex from their menfolk to force them to put an end to the Peloponnesian war!

I must admit I haven't read Aristophane's original guide to a sex strike, but I have the following two observations to make. First, it is well known that homosexuality was strongly practiced in Ancient Greece, so how effective could a sex strike really have been? Second, assuming the strike can be very effective, could It have been the culprit that drove men into homosexuality?

If Aristophane's comedy was an inspiration to women in Kenya, my advice is to be careful about how long they carry out the strike. Ancient Greece was the bastion of homosexuality so it might not be the best example to follow :)

http://www.thinkaloo.com

No comments: