Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mr and Mrs. God

For me, one of the most interesting aspects of the Abrahamic religions is that all three were created by members of the male gender. I think this goes a long way toward explaining why it was written that Men are created in the image of God (who -- surprise, surprise -- also happens to be a fella) and why woman was created From a man, not independently. By utilizing the literary devise of woman's being be borne from part of the male body (his rib), it placed the fairer sex in an eternally submissive position.

I've often thought about how these three religions might have been different If Women, not men, were the drivers behind their creation. For starters, I seriously doubt there would be one singular Heavenly Father.

Women tend to be the ones in a family that try to bring everyone together (utilizing the stereotypical mothering function), so my guess is that a woman-infused religious system would have created a heavenly couple, Mr and Mrs. God or the Heavenly Father and Mother.

Since women, not men, bring new life into the world via the womb, it's hard for me to imagine a woman-infused religion creating the tragic figure of Jesus dying on the cross to save the world from sin.

Most of the mothers I know would throw themselves in front of a bus in order to save their child EVEN if that child happens to be a rapist or a murderer. It's just the maternal instinct to want to shield your child from harm.

Anyway, this is all merely my own conjecture. What's yours?

http://www.thinkaloo.com

No comments: