Thursday, April 16, 2009

Am I socially responsible for posting this thought?

I just read on CNN about a new fingerprinting technique that enables scientists to detect fingerprints on spent bullets and shell casings, even when the print is wiped off. It works by detecting the minute corrosion of metal caused by sweat, which corrodes the metal in the shape of the fingerprint. The article concludes by saying that the technique won't work, if a person has just washed their hands or put on gloves before loading a gun. Is it socially responsible to report this kind of news?

What if, out of the millions of people that will read the article on CNN, a few might commit a crime in the future using a gun and what if they take all the necessary precautions to make sure their fingerprints don't get detected because they had read the article?

We can't blame freedom of speech, the media or the internet for how well or not well people plan and execute gun crimes. But since not all news or information ever gets reported, what purpose does reporting this technological advance serve? Would it have been more socially responsible if the media did not report about it?

What about me? What about my re-reporting this news here and spreading the story and informing more people about it? Am I also socially responsible? Should I have not posted this? What purpose does my thought warning about the danger of spreading information that could be used to a criminal's advantage serve?

My thought is powerless to prevent the potentially negative effect it itself predicts. I am under no illusion about that. The info is out there already and no one can take it down now. But still, by writing these lines, I am contributing to the fact that more people know about it now than if I hadn't written them.

What if some people reading my thought right now will end up killing someone in the future with a gun and what if they take all the precautions I mentioned here? What if they write to me to thank me for letting them know about it? What if they start leaving comments saying 'thank you' or something? What if YOU - reading my thoughts right now! - left me a comment saying 'thank you mister egghead for letting me know', will it be a joke? How sincerely or seriously should I take it?

I feel so guilty posting this but I can't help it. I want you to read my thoughts and realize that our media and I are both socially responsible for posting this. I want you to see what an egghead I am, so selfish and so vain-driven my mind is :)

http://www.thinkaloo.com

No comments: